Saturday, May 16, 2009


Air Popcorn Popper and Ground Turkey

Rhonda's secret passion was popcorn cooked in a kettle and in oil. That was a permanent fixture every Sunday night. Well, for Mother's Day, which was also her birthday, Bill gave her an air popcorn popper. Popcorn is a very healthy snack. It is a whole grain, and if it's not cooked in oil, or with added butter, is fat free. Regular popcorn is also much more economical than microwave popcorn. Rhonda attributes the air popcorn popper as helping her to lose 4 pounds this week. She has also moved into the two-thirties by coming in at 239 pounds this week.


Bill and Rhonda also made the switch from lean ground beef to using ground turkey. This is also a more healthy alternative. They used to use ground turkey for several years until Rhonda's grandmother caught wind of it. Rhonda's grandfather had been a butcher and using ground turkey instead of ground beef was almost heretical! It's now been several years since her grandmother passed away, so they felt it was safe to return to ground turkey. Maybe this is why Bill has been averaging a two-pound-a-week weight loss. This was no different this week as he lost two pounds to be down to 253 pounds.


Here are their set point scores for this week:


Rhonda: (S) 92 (S) 100 (M) 96 (T) 100 (W) 95 (T) 80 (F) 100


Bill: (S) 90 (S) 100 (M) 100 (T) 100 (W) 100 (T) 95 (F) 100



5 comments:

  1. I was not very happy when I saw the air popcorn popper. I thought that I wanted to keep my popcorn popped in oil, but now I am glad I gave it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can not beleave it you guys are doing so well! Good Job! Dad you are almost to the 240's and you just hit the two fiftys good job. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like air popped popcorn the best, but it has to be soaked in butter and salt. Great job for having so much self control. You two are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys totally rock! Get some butter-flavored Pam and spray on your popcorn -- a little salt (and there are lots of yummy flavored salts) and you are in business!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, choosing the right foods has resulted in a number on the scale that correlates to the Hymn number for "Choose The Right".
    And Bill, your number is "Like Ten Thousand Legions Marching!" Also fitting.

    ReplyDelete