Thursday, June 18, 2009



With Thanksgiving

By Rhonda

We had the Word of Wisdom Sunday School class last week. The thing I learned in this class is from D&C 89:11 that says " Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving." I have been thinking about being thankful for this weight loss plan. It has been hard to give up the food in the grey area. Chocolate cake is not a problem, but those salty pretzels that the book says are zero refined carbohydrates and zero fats but BIG on salt have been tough to give up. So has walnuts, almonds, unlimited raisons, corn chips, crackers, and popcorn popped in oil. Even Butter Buds has to be watched because of salt.

But on the other hand this is a great weight loss program. We can eat all the fruit we want. Bill has a co worker who won’t eat an orange because it has too many carbs. For a while the Atkins diet had everyone scared to eat bread, rolls, and waffles. I love these things and they are the core of our eating along with potatoes, rice and corn meal. These food items form the base of the pyramid, it is not upside down! All cultures use these basic items. I don’t feel jittery or faint.

And we are lucky to have so much to eat. So when I start feeling sorry for myself I can remember the Word of Wisdom and be thankful for all we do get to eat.

We are updating this blog a day early since we are going out of town this week. Here are our set-point scores for this week:

Rhonda: (S) 100 (S) 100 (M) 96 (T) 100 (W) 100 (T) on track for 100

Remember Bill’s scores reflect the fact that his doctor DIDN’T let him exercise until Wednesday:

Bill: (S) 50 (S) 48 (M) 50 (T) 50 (W) 95 (T) on track for 100

And they weighted in at 237 for Rhonda, a loss from last week of one pound and Bill gained two pounds and is back up to 250 pounds. This only proves the value of exercise, since Rhonda, despite the huge stress of taking care of Bill after his surgery, went to the gym for an hour every day she was supposed to.

2 comments:

  1. Well Bill I guess I'm too preachy. No ones commented and it's been three days. I'm glad that you are back to work and feeling better so you can write our blogs again. Vera said she didn't recognize you Sunday because she hasn't seen you in a long time and you've changed. You've lost so much weight and now you are looking at people straight on instead of turning your head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Rhonda, I have been meaning to get on here, because I have been thinking about your blog entry all week.
    Bruce and I are reading the D&C together at night, before we go to bed, and we just got to section 89.
    Your attitude of gratitude and your success with this wonderful way of taking care of your body, added new importance to the idea of the word of wisdom. Thanks for the reminder to be grateful, and keep up the good work.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete