
Not All Whole Wheat Bread Is Created Equal
If you buy whole wheat bread in the store, read the label first. A lot of commercially made 100% whole wheat bread has all of the right things that whole wheat bread that you bake at home, but everything is "disassembled first, and then re-combined. For example, they might use white flour, and add wheat germ and bran back in so they can call it whole wheat. Yes it is healthier than eating just white bread, but because it uses white flour -- one of those dreaded refined carbohydrates -- at least from a set-point weight-loss standpoint -- it's pretty much the same as eating white bread. The best thing to do is to eat whole wheat bread of your "Own make" so to speak. And that's what we generally do.
On of my secrets is that Rhonda gives me a sliced up loaf of her whole wheat bread and I take it to work. At lunch time, I eat 2 or 3 slices of bread before I select anything else. Remember, I have an employee lunch room with leftover food from lavish banquets. People there complain when they have to have prime rib, two days in a row! Any way this whole wheat bread method works really well for me to resist eating those other tempting things in my cafeteria. I'm always there eating my bread while others are eating mouth-watering food items that maybe aren't as weight-loss friendly. My co-workers call Rhonda's whole wheat bread, "Magic Bread."
Speaking of magic, it's seems like the magic has continued. I lost two pounds, down to 221 pounds and Rhonda lost one pound, down to 227 pounds. The other night, we went to a restaurant with some friends and the waiter was almost verbally abusive to us and our menu selections. "What! You not going to have your salad with salad dressing! Not even have it tossed with olive oil!"
Just to let you know, next week, if the magic continues and I lose the usual two pounds, I will have reached the milestone of loosing 100 pounds since I started this weight-loss program just over two year ago. So stayed tuned for next weeks post to find out if I did that.
Thanks for all your encouraging words. They really mean a lot to Rhonda and I!
Almost 100 lbs? That's Incredible!
ReplyDeleteYou both are so inspirational! Keep up your great work!
I had no idea about the store bought wheat bread,so interesting. Good luck this week!
ReplyDelete