Saturday, November 20, 2010

Carry on, Carry on, Carry on


Rhonda Here. These last several weeks I have been wondering if I should just settle. Settle for being around 218 pounds. That is still obese, but then so many people are and so why worry? There are now twins to worry about, a husband who works past his bedtime and still gets up early, a daughter who is still at home (and going running with a high school cross country star, despite her recent feeble health), and a budget that takes an acrobat to balance.

The biggest reason to keep going is that this weight loss program incorporates so much of the Word of Wisdom such as eating grains which are the "staff of life" D&C 89:14, exercizing in moderate amounts so that one can "walk and not faint." D&C 89:20, eating lots of fruits and vegetables D&C 89:10, 11, and eating meat sparingly D&C 89:12. This way of living is adapted to the "capacity of the weakest saint." D&C 89: 3. It is not some big will power program. It is not even some big obedience program. The weakest among us can succeed. I don't know if it is always the priority in someone's life to change these habits, so I try not to judge. And I guess I shouldn't limit my potential here either. So onward and downward.
November 26 216
December 3 214
December 10 212
December 17 210
December 24 208
December 31 206
January 7 204
January 14 202
January 21 200 !!!!!

By the way, Bill reported several blogs ago that Lecithin is a fat free substitute for oil. Lori has discovered that it does have fat. I've done some more research and found that lecithin is made from soybeans, which have fat in them. The advantage of lecithin is that you only need to use half as much. So that's why we use it in our bread.

Now after all this talk about going downward, both Bill and I gained a pound this week. He is up to 214 pounds and I'm up to 218 pounds. As we left the gym on Friday, Bill asked me, "Back when you were 267 pounds, did you ever think you'd be disappointed to weigh 218 pounds?"

Last year, when we weighed ourselves the day after Thanksgiving, we both gained 4 pounds, so it will be interesting to see what happens next week. Both our goal charts are predicting a two pound decrease!

1 comment:

  1. I like your thoughts Rhonda.
    It reminds me of a quote by President Hinkley

    "Please don't nag yourself with thoughts of failure. Do not set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. Simply do what you can do, in the best way you know, and the Lord will accept of your effort."
    --Gordon B. Hinckley, "Rise to the Stature of the Divine within You," Ensign, Nov. 1989, 94

    ReplyDelete