
Mind Over Matter
Michaelangelo once said, “What I desire, I must first sense. What I sense, I create.” Another time, an admirer commented how beautiful and magnificent Michaelangelo's sculpture of Mary holding the body of Christ after he was taken from the cross. Michaelangelo said, “It was always there. I just chipped away at the excess.” These same ideas capture the essence of envisioning a lean and trim living body.
Michaelangelo once said, “What I desire, I must first sense. What I sense, I create.” Another time, an admirer commented how beautiful and magnificent Michaelangelo's sculpture of Mary holding the body of Christ after he was taken from the cross. Michaelangelo said, “It was always there. I just chipped away at the excess.” These same ideas capture the essence of envisioning a lean and trim living body.
The saying, “mind over matter” was never more true than with set-point weight loss. Sensory detail is very important and a person needs to visualize in great detail what it will be like to be at their ideal weight. It helps when that person was at that ideal weight before, and even better when they have a picture of themselves at that weight. The programing language of this marvelous computer we call the human mind is sensory detail, or visual imaging. The person imagines, using as many senses as possible what it will be like at their ideal weight.
This is also known as the psychological set point, and is vital, along with everything else (such as exercise and eating right) to lowering the physical set point.
This week, Bill came in at 267 pounds, 2 pounds less than last week. Rhonda weighted 245 pounds, 2 pounds less than last week. Right on track!
And here are their set-point scores:
Rhonda: (S) 94 (M) 94 (T) 98 (W) 85 (T) 100 (F) 71
Bill: (S) 94 (M) 96 (T) 100 (W) 85 (T) 100 (F) 100
Rhonda: (S) 94 (M) 94 (T) 98 (W) 85 (T) 100 (F) 71
Bill: (S) 94 (M) 96 (T) 100 (W) 85 (T) 100 (F) 100
Here's an interesting monitor that helps you figure out what your life expectancy might be and also what your virtual age is: http://www.sonnyradio.com/realage3.swf
While little set backs here and there may have caused others to give up by now, you two are still going strong- and reaping the benefits of hanging in there! I am incredibly impressed! You inspire me.
ReplyDeleteI like your Michaelangelo story, I've heard it before, but I've never thought of it in this context. You two are working so hard, way to go!
ReplyDeleteDo you think I should try get as skinny as I was in that picture? j/k
ReplyDeleteNo Valerie. Not that skinny!
ReplyDeleteyou guys should keep a running total of weight lost since you started this blogg.
ReplyDelete